History - Markeaton Park was originally part of the Markeaton Hall Estate, owned by the Mundy family from 1516. In 1929, the Hall and twenty acres of its gardens were given to the Corporation (local council).
Another 180 acres of the park were bought by the Corporation in about 1930. In about 1965 the Hall was declared unsafe after years of neglect and demolished, leaving only the Orangery and Stable blocks.
There are lots of things for children to do including, crazy golf, donkey rides, electric go-carts, boating lake and miniature steam railway. However, don't get the idea that the whole park is given over to children, there are very large areas of open flat grassland and woodland.
Markeaton Park also has a fairly large lake and mill pond with the usual collection of tame waterfowl. Between the lake and Orangery are the more formal gardens filled with various colorful flowers around a small fountain. There's also a rose garden, herbaceous border, seasonal bedding displays and trees and shrubs.
Located on the west side of the city of Derby, Markeaton Park is easily accessible from the A38 and the A52.
Markeaton Park, Derby - Links and Map
Calke Abbey - Hall and Gardens
Hardwick Hall and Gardens
Derwent Valley Reservoirs